Saturday, 23 July 2011

Visual Merchandising Display

I have never posted any of my own visual merchandising projects on my blog before, but this is one that has been a huge money making success in the store where I work. My friend and I developed the concept of a vintage boutique and using props we brought it to life a few weeks ago.

I updated it yesterday with some gorgeous Autumn stock from the Biba range instore. Biba is focussing on gorgeous retro patterns in soft knitwear, pussy bow blouses, ruffled shirt fronts and 70's style flared sleeves on silk dresses.

 We gave the vintage wardrobe a paint treatment in the decadent colours of gold and black and staple gunned a faux fur leopard treatment to the back which is the iconic look and feel for Biba.
 Front dressings promote add on sales and add interest to the display.
 Clashing 70's prints are key to this Autumn's trends, taking inspiration from high designer catwalks such as Missoni.
 Mannequin styling includes mixing textures such as faux fur, suede, silk ruffles and tweed.
 Taking inspiration from vintage boutqiue dress outs to show the customers different ways of wearing the collection's key pieces and displaying accessories such as bags, candles and jewellery to promote add on sales.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I found your blog about a week ago and I love it. I'm a retail student and was wondering how you got into working in VM?
    Kirstie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for the comment! I got into visual merchandising firstly by working in retail since the age of sixteen. Then when i was studying for my a levels I seeked work experience with a local department store who took me on for free for six months. After this period they offered me a permanent position and Im still there today! If you have a retail job I would recommend taking as many photos as possible of any merchandising, mannequin styling or any other displays you do and start building a portfolio. Work experience is key as visual merchandising is a very 'hands-on' role so many companies prefer you to have this experience when you apply. Good luck and I hope I helped you in some way! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really amazing post. Business owners of all kinds know that marketing is an important part of running a successful company. But in order to be successful at marketing your goods or services you need tools to help you. Snap frames and retail displays help you much.

    ReplyDelete